Saturday 10 May 2008

Villages and silver...

Since then we’ve been to Deepak Sawant’s house – we told him we were thinking of moving from the guest house because we wanted to see the villages more. Whether he took this on board, or what, I don’t know. But we said we were going for a walk, his eyes lit up…all of a sudden he grabbed us and off we went. It was brilliant actually, the sun was going down, we walked through this beautiful village. Met loads of smiling village people, even met the head of the panchayat – pretty good! This place is called Ram Bamboli, there’s so many people to interview there, I mean this whole rigmarole of going here there and everywhere is starting to get a bit tiresome given that there are just women women everywhere. I mean, I can see that it’s important to get women from lots of different places – but I could easily carry out 10 interviews right here just off the college where I’m staying – so gotta do that really.
I was asked to tie a piece of silver to a child’s ankle! Basically, there’s a hospital policy that says that girl-children get a gift of silver from the hospital… it feels like some kind of recompense for having a girl, but I think the idea is to make having a girl more palatable. There is a photo of this, but I forgot to flick the AutoFocus button on, so it’s a ridiculous blur.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Now that truly is ridiculous blur. the baby looks like an extension of the nurses arm.