Sunday 11 May 2008

Meeting interesting people, including a queen!

Met a group of people, including two doctors, who are building a school. Talked lots about sustainability, and heard Sudhir give a minor speech on this subject to an assorted bunch of his gang – brilliant. This included the idea of putting a mother and child centre in the grounds of the school.

It’s a bit of a hive of activity round here. Groups that we’ve met, and are involved with… are really going for it. It reminds of me of some time in British past which I don’t know about… all of these music halls, hospitals, schools etc – that were set up by rich people named after someone, or in memory of someone, I suppose it was the industrial revolution or something. It strikes me that this is the same thing happening in India – but I know not.

Also went to the Palace and met the Maharani of Sindhudurg! I don’t know much(anything?!) about Indian royal history, but she had some great tales to tell, and was certainly very ‘royal-like’! She was introduced to me as a “real queen – her family have ruled for 20 generations… unlike your pesky one” – what do you say to that? She’s really into maternal health, and sustainability. She’s obviously really on board – she’s a lovely, well educated women, need to think about ways to interview her!

No comments: