Thursday 8 May 2008

First day in Sindhudurg

6am. Waking up with a splitting headache, and the sounds of the Konkan-Kanya Express ringing in my ears, I washed my face and became positioned standing over an open train door – looking over rural Maharashtra.

Suddenly remembering why I am in India, the excitement rose and my finger-tips tingled – I’m about to go out into rural India! This is why I chose to come back to the Subcontinent, only four months after leaving last…

The plan is for the first formal interviews to take place starting on Monday. That gives me two days in Mumbai and 5 days in Sindhudurg as preparation time – all part of the process, and very important, but not as formal and structured.

Today involved being fed and watered (& mangoed! – fresh, local and delicious!) at Col. Salwant’s house – then meeting and chatting with lots of students, teachers etc from the Agricultural college here. These guys do seriously amazing work around sustainable farming, living etc.

In the afternoon, Anand and I had a failed mission to find Dr Kulkarni, our contact and District Civil Surgeon. Maybe tomorrow will treat us better.

There’s so much to do, before interviewing starts – so really need to get a move on. Basic things like getting our accommodation sorted. At the moment we’re staying in a guest room at the Agricultural college. It’s pretty basic, but ok. But I don’t think it’ll be possible or desirable to stay here the entire time.

More to follow…S

No comments: